About The Work Room

The Work Room is the Creative Journal of Wendy Sue where she shares her creative journey in all things handmade. The Work Room also offers an alternative to your typical jewelry making workshops. Scroll down to the end of the page to see how you can learn to make your unique piece of artisan jewelry online.

Tuesday 14 April 2009

Glazed & fired

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,.........

Work Room chat:
This is an ex gratia plug I'm doing for Uncle Ghee. =) Give Funky Pots website a visit to see what it's all about and if any one of you are by any chance just around the corner, better still. There's a £5.00 off voucher that you can download from the website to use. Come on down to Funky Pots for some pottery painting fun with your friends, family, kids or even loved ones while enjoying a mean cup of coffee and some homemade cakes. ;) Pottery painting is fun for all ages!

Ouh, and I'm occasional at the studio too and if you see me there, do say hi, yea. :)

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,.........

I was refering to the golf bag pen holder bisque that I painted last week. It was finally glazed and fired in the kiln and here is the end product.



Tadah!



Well, not what I was expecting it to be. I wanted it to be darker though but then, obviously I haven't had enough coating of paint gone over it. I was told that the darkest shade the paint could achieve is with three layers of paint and obviously mine was only one layer.

I thought I have gone through three layers already because I remembered going through it three times but then only I realized it is only considered as one layer after each dry. Meaning, it is considered the second coating only after painted on a dried layer of paint. That was my mistake in not waiting for the firt layer to dry first before painting on the second layer, which is how the colour ended up so light.

Oh, well..... this is my first time working with this type of paint after all. So, I shouldn't have too high of an expectation anyway.

If you realized, the black stripe portion part was painted on rather messily. Well, truth is, I didn't finished off the painting myself. My aunt finished off painting for me since they were in a hurry to glaze and fire it together with the rest of the bisque.

Yes, pottery painting can be quite time consuming. Painting one layer took me almost 3 hours! Can you imagine how much longer it would take if I were to do it for three layers?

But then, to think of it.....it might not have been that much longer since I wasted some time the first time around trying to figure out the paint.

The thing about the paint for pottery painting is this.

The paint is very thick in texture and lighter in shade prior to glazing and firing. Hence, it can be a little mind boggling trying to gauge the colour match for a beginner like me.

Just take the red colour for example.

As you can see in the picture below, the colour of the paw print appears to be pinkish in shade prior to glazing and firing.











But after glazing and firing, this is the shade you get.



o_O!



I'll show you the other tile with the red background so that you can see how red the paint actually turn out to be.



Apart from that, it was indeed an interesting experience. Will definitely want to try this one more time and hopefully I'll get to capture every step of it and I'll even choose a smaller item to paint next time around!LOL......




post signature

0 hollers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...