About The Work Room

The Work Room is the Creative Journal of Wendy Sue where she shares her creative journey in all things handmade. The Work Room also offers an alternative to your typical jewelry making workshops. Scroll down to the end of the page to see how you can learn to make your unique piece of artisan jewelry online.

Sunday 20 February 2011

How To Clean Fake Jewelry




Came across this very interesting video on YouTube over the weekend on how to clean your 'fake' jewelry. Erm, okay. On second thought, I don't really like to use the work 'fake'. Like it's a bluff or something. Haha!

And so it's not precious jewelry that people normally associate with the likes of  precious gems and metals. But we can call it costume jewelry! :D

Therefore I would rather say How To Clean Your COSTUME Jewelry rather than FAKE jewelry cuz I don't like how the word 'fake' makes the sentence sounds 'less dignified'. Well, whatever that is supposed to mean. :P

Anyway, I was intrigued enough to give it a try myself.

I literally went "Woah!" when I saw how the earrings turned out! Without hesitation, I went into the kitchen and bathroom to get ....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
these!




Well, I suppose all toothpaste will work the same although what did cross my mind were these:
  1. The material of the jewelry. I have my reservation when it comes to cleaning silver jewelry with this method but precious metal aside, I wonder if it's going to clean effectively with all sorts of material or will the results vary with different materials. Well, even with the findings; we have silver plated, rhodium, nickel, copper, brass etc etc etc. I really can't tell the type of jewelry material in the video. I suspected nickel at first but I think it's way too bright for it to be classified as nickel.
  2. The formula of the toothpaste. I mean, toothpaste these days are comes in all sorts of flavors and 'purpose' that you can't really help thinking that one toothpaste can be very different from another although it's only a toothpaste! One same brand of toothpaste probably have a few toothpaste product; for whiter teeth, sensitive teeth, stronger gum etc etc etc. There's so many choices!






Surely, the formulation for each is different and not just a marketing gimmick, rite? If so, will the different formulation affect the effectiveness? *shrugs*

I'll be using a different toothpaste (it's for sensitive teeth by the way :P) since I haven't got any Crest with me and a kitchen towel since the idea of rubbing toothpaste all over my hand does not appeal to me.





Smear it all over the kitchen towel for a more 'even coverage'......





I took out a pair of my old chandelier earrings to try. I'll be trying out on the earwires first. Rubbing toothpaste all over the earrings just doesn't sits well with me especially unlike the pair of earrings in the video which if you notice is solely metal, I've got crystal beads hanging all over this pair of earrings and getting the crystals smelling of toothpaste? Errr...... I'm not too sure about that.





You can see that it's very 'black'. It's nickel plated by the way.

And I start rubbing away.........






Hhhhhmmm.....seems to work pretty decently.






Check out the piece of kitchen towel. You can see some black residue on it after rubbing.

I did not run it under the tap water since I only tried out with only a small part. So I just dampen the other end of the same piece of the kitchen towel and wipe it clean.





And now, the before-after!




Well, obviously, the one at the back is the one we just cleaned and the one at the front was the uncleaned one. Hhhmmm... looks like it does seems to work, huh? But I can't help from thinking if Crest will do an even better job!

Either way, this still comes across as too much of a hassle for me. Heheh! Especially when you have.....

 this!






Toothpaste, kitchen towel, water all sounds too much of a hassle to me when I can just easily pick this up and rub away! Heheh! :P

I know it's meant to clean silver but if it's good enough for silver, I believe it's good enough for everything else!

But then of course, if you haven't got a silver polishing cloth, this could just be the trick! ;)



post signature

0 hollers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...