About The Work Room

The Work Room is the Creative Journal of Wendy Sue where she shares her creative journey in all things handmade. The Work Room also offers an alternative to your typical jewelry making workshops. Scroll down to the end of the page to see how you can learn to make your unique piece of artisan jewelry online.

Sunday 25 January 2009

Wrapped Loop 101

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,.........

Work Room chat:
Ok, so this is going to be something VERY unrelated to jewellery making at all but I would really love to mention about Su Yin. You just have got to visit her blog to know why. ;) It just warms my heart each time seeing someone else who is so passionate about what they do. People like that, I find to be such an inspiration when times are tough for me, especially so tough that I even wondered if I would have had it easier if I just quit. But when you see people like Su Yin, it makes you go."No, I've got to make this happen!"

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,.........

Well, as promised. :) And I thought I’ll just get this one up just in time for the holiday break, hopefully! ;)

When I first started making jewellery, I find making the wrapped loop a very daunting task. And I couldn’t get it for the first six months of jewellery making.



Wrapped loop, if you must know , is a very much more secured loop than the ordinary loop. It is possible for the ordinary loop to open up after years of wear and tear and by that actually dismantled from the joint connection.

I’m not saying that it is the inevitable consequences nor am I saying that it will definitely happen. What I’m trying to say is that you can’t rule out that possibility when it comes to the ordinary single loop.

Wrapped loop on the other hand is very much more secured because the wires are wrapped around the base a few times, hence securing the connection.

There is one drawback to the wrapped loop though. You can’t change your mind making jewellery with wrapped loop.

You know how it is sometimes that after joining the beads, the you have a change of mind and feels that it would perhaps be much better for the beads to be joined the other way round and so you reopen the connections to join them the other way round? Or maybe you have a change of mind where you do not want to join this bead here but there instead? Well, something like that.

With wrapped loop, the connection is pretty much ‘stamped and sealed’. If you change your mind, your only option is to cut open the loop and redo the whole wrapping process again for the new connection. That, only spells of E.X.T.R.A work to me. LOL….. Well, not that I haven’t gone through any of that myself! :P

Well, there are different reasons and circumstances when one would choose a wrapped loop over the ordinary single loop or vice versa. It may be a matter of personal preference just as much as it is the best method.

Some like to do wrapped loops as part of the design. The wrapped ‘stem’ right above the bead is a design in itself already if you have ever noticed.



Also, sometimes when I’m using beads that comes in bigger holes like cloissone beads or some glass beads, or even some natural beads, I find that a wrapped loop can hold the beads together much better than the ordinary single loop.



Chances are, one might not get the perfect wrapped loop at the first try. Heck! Even I myself, despite three years into jewellery making do not necessarily get it right ecery single time. But as the saying goes, and as cliché as it probably going to sound, practise does indeed makes perfect.

So, just keep on wrapping, folks!

Anyway, I won’t be showing you how I do my wrapped loop.. Err, kind of short of time for this post. Maybe later. But there are in fact tonnes of video available out there for you to watch to get a clearer picture on how to do it.

These are the two videos I found on YouTube which I think gives very clear instructions.

This is one where you make a wrapped loop out from a head pin.



And this is one where you are making them off a piece of wire.



Enjoy, folks!

p/s: I should be off for the reunion dinner already. So, to those celebrating Chinese New Year, Gong Xi Fa Cai! Have a joyous and prosperous one there! And to the rest, happy holidays and have a great week ahead! =D


post signature

0 hollers:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...